Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Primer needed: XML-encoded documents using SGML tools.

/ Robert Withrow <bwithrow@nortelnetworks.com> was heard to say:
| Thanks for the replies.  I think this topic is ripe for treatment in
| the next edition of the Book, since it touches a lot of different
| areas: tools, catalogs, etc.  No one document seems to cover it all
| and it is a scary area for us beginners.  The the call for a primer.

I just added a new tracker at http://sourceforge.net/projects/docbook/
to track documentation requests. That'll make it less likely that I
forget to do it :-)

| For this version (deleting the http:... stuff):
|
|   <?xml version='1.0'?> <!-- -*- DocBook -*- -->
|   <!DOCTYPE figure
|     PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1.2//EN">
|   <graphic fileref="foo.gif" format="GIF"></graphic>
|   </figure>
|
| I get:
|
|   bash-2.03$ nsgmls -s -wxml figure.xml
|   nsgmls:figure.xml:3:47:W: no system id specified

For XML, you must specify system identifiers. Point the DOCTYPE to you're
local copy of DocBook:

   <!DOCTYPE figure
     PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1.2//EN"
            "/path/to/where/you/installed/docbookx.dtd">

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | I often marvel that while each man
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | loves himself more than anyone
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | else, he sets less value on his