Subject: Re: New to DocBook: XML or SGML, Clark or Open?

It may be -- in fact probably is -- a function of the specific binary I'm using (which is the Windows version of OpenJade 1.3 / OpenSP 1.3.4 downloaded from the DSSSL site).  I haven't noticed any announcement of  a newer version -- but I haven't been looking very carefully, either.

A short description of the problem would be that the error messages in general bear no discernable (to me) relevance to the actual error, and are different than those emitted by Jade.  This appears to be true for errors in the SGML document (as opposed to errors in the DSSSL), and so may actually be a problem in OpenSP, rather than OpenJade itself.

A relatively user friendly example is caused by omitting a (required) end-tag.  OpenJade returns:
openjade -c catalog -t rtf -dsgmlweave.dsl sample.sgm

C:\USR\DSSSL\OPENJA~1.3\BIN\OPENJADE.EXE:sample.sgm:60:9:E: invalid content map
C:\USR\DSSSL\OPENJA~1.3\BIN\OPENJADE.EXE:sample.sgm:5:2: content map references non-existent port "SECTION"

While Jade returns
jade -c catalog -t rtf -dsgmlweave.dsl sample.sgm

C:\USR\DSSSL\JADE\JADE.EXE:sample.sgm:60:9:E: end tag for "SECTION" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified
C:\USR\DSSSL\JADE\JADE.EXE:sample.sgm:5:2: start tag was here

At 05:06 PM 4/5/01 -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
"M. Wroth" <mark@astrid.upland.ca.us> writes:

> OpenJADE is the open source continuation of JADE, started with James'
> blessing when he became too involved in other projects to continue to
> update JADE.  There is additional functionality in OpenJade, which may or
> may not be important to you (*I* haven't had any particular need for it,
> processing DocBook and some homegrown scripts, but YMMMV).  On the other
> hand, I have found the error messages from OpenJADE to be less than
> informative...which makes a difference, especially when you're trying to learn.

I'm surprised to hear that the quality of the error messages seem to
be lower in OpenJade than in Jade.  Do you have any more information?

--
.....Adam Di Carlo....adam@onshore.com.....<URL:http://www.onshored.com/>

Mark B. Wroth
<mark@astrid.upland.ca.us>