Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Proposal: extend textobject to point to external files

Norman Walsh wrote:

> 2. Add a textdata element:
>
> <!ELEMENT textdata EMPTY>
> <!ATTLIST textdata
>                 %common.attrib;
>                 %objectdata.attrib;
>                 %local.textdata.attrib;
>                 %textdata.role.attrib;

I would suggest adding encoding attribute to the textdata (probably via
%local.textdata.attrib). From this attribute processing application
could infer encoding of external file. This is really necessary for
non-English languages where external files are usually in other encoding
than us-ascii, utf-8 or ISO latin 1. Type of this attribute should be
CDATA and it should contain IANA encoding name (same names are used in
XML - e.g. UTF-8, ISO-8859-2, windows-1250, ...).

For the same reason, encoding attribute is also part of XInclude if you
include text file (parse="text") not XML one.
¨
Jirka

  Jirka Kosek
  e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz