Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Announce: Website 2.0a1 (ALPHA) released

/ Dave Pawson <daveP@dpawson.freeserve.co.uk> was heard to say:
| Thanks... I think (but thats before I've tried it).
| What we need now is a stylesheet to transform the old webpages
| to the new!
| (I've about 500 to do!)

Great idea! Uhm, actually, that shouldn't be too hard. The one wrinkle
I see is that you've probably got individual pages in external parsed
entities and there's no way for the parser to know what those entities
are/were called.

Maybe it makes more sense to bust 'em into bits with a perl script.
Hmm.

Other problems to keep an eye on:

 - The pages can't be nested anymore.
 - Converting <link>s to <olink>s might be a bit ugly.
 - The Website DTD is now based on *Simplified* DocBook so you've
   lost some expressive power. (This may suck so much that it can't
   be maintained, but the idea is that you should be able to view the
   XML versions with an XML browser and for that you want the DTD to
   be as small as practically possible.)

| The indexes (indices??) are trivial.

More or less.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Consistency requires you to be as
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | ignorant today as you were a year
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | ago.--Bernard Berenson