Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: docbook cosmetics

> "G.L. Grobe" wrote:
>
> I've finally got the hang of building some documentation but ...
>
> Anyone have any references of where I may be able to look about how to
> properly add background colors, shade in those example text areas,
> font sizes, etc.. cosmetic things.

The easiest way is to write CSS stylesheet and link it to generated HTML
file. If you want to include link to docbook.css file in each generated
HTML put the following parameter into your XSL customization layer
(similar parameter is also in DSSSL one):

<xsl:param name="html.stylesheet">docbook.css</xsl:param>

In docbook.css you can define visual appearance. There is simple example
of how the docbook.css might look:

body { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
       font-size: 9pt;
       background-color: white;
       color: black;
       margin: 0px; }

table { font-size: 9pt }

.title, .subtitle { color: navy }

.programlisting,
.programlistingco,
.screen { background-color: #d0d0d0;
          padding: 5pt;
          margin: 5pt}

:hover { color: red;
         text-decoration: underline; }

a { text-decoration: none;
    color: blue; }

.navfooter, .navheader { background-color: #EEDDFF; }

.chapter, .refentry,
.book, .reference,
.preface, .colophon { margin-left: 10pt;
                      margin-right: 10pt; }

Note that for many DocBook containers there is possibility to change
their apperance by using .elementName selector as stylesheet marks them
using <div> or <span> element.

  Jirka Kosek
  e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz
  http://www.kosek.cz