Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: A straw proposal for help topics in DocBook

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Michael Smith wrote:

> But the content model Norm proposed for Topic is recursive, just like
> the one for Section is -- that is, a Topic can contain other Topics,
> nested indefinitely. So you could do:
>
>   <chapter>
>   <title>How to Drive</title>
>   <topic id="1000" role="topic">
>       <title>Start to start your car</title>
>       <topic role="discussion">
>           <title/>
>           <para>you use your keys to switch on the engine to make your car
>           go</para>

This is assuming <chapter> includes <topic>. I'm undecided whether this
should be allowed or not. From a purist point of view, the help-set or
whatever "root" help set element should contain <topic>s, but not other
elements. In other words, you can either create a help set or a
book/article. Our online documentation contains old-fashioned books as
well as online help, and having <help-set> (or whatever it ends up being
called) as a sibling of <book> and <article> would allow xrefs between the
online help and the books.

Gershon