Subject: RE: FW: DOCBOOK: Equations.

With regard to my comments on including math markup in the core DocBook

At 03:55 PM 10/19/01 +0200, Peter Ring wrote:
>Could you be more specific?
>
>Which math notations should be part of the core?
>
>What processing should be expected?

MathML would be fine, based on my limited experience with it.

I could also deal with a much simpler scheme (as was, IIRC, proposed early
in the MathML development) that is a simple descriptive markup (think TeX
translated to XML/SGML).

I would love to have functionality equivalent to TeX as part of the core --
since much of the coding I do is math-related, I find myself wanting
DocBook for its output formats and TeX for its expression of math.

But I could live with support for inline and displayed equations, which
contain PCDATA (which gets me the ISO math symbols), and sub- and
superscripts.  If I got to wish for more, I'd add simple arrays.

Mark B. Wroth
<mark@astrid.upland.ca.us>