Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Re: Abbreviations and Ordinals

Norman Walsh wrote (2001-11-09 (16:31)):

> | 2. In German typography, ordinal numbers are indicated by a
> |    period after the corresponding cardinal number. Normally,
> |    you would want to have a smaller space after this period
> |    than after a period terminating a sentence. In TeX, you can
> |    achieve this by appending a backslash to the ordinal period.
> |    How would one cater for this using DocBook?
>
>  , probably.

No. After ordinals, you want a normal space, not  .

A thin space is what you want within abbreviations like
e. g. and i. e., but not at the end of
abbreviations or after ordinals. Abbreviations I can treat with
<abbrev> and a proper style sheet, while for ordinals, there is
no obvious mechanism in DocBook.

I now defined an entity &dot; that I use after ordinals or
within abbreviations, like e&dot;&thinsp;g&dot;. However, a
more general solution seems to be desirable to me.

    Cheers,
    Marco

--
Marco Kuhlmann                             marco.kuhlmann@gmx.net