Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Re: Concrete proposal for #480954: Extend textobject toinsertexternal files

Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu> writes:

> Is there any reason not use XInclude instead? Why reinvent the wheel?

I'm not really up to date on XInclude, but isn't the spec still just a
working draft, and aren't there some problems with it? I remember
discussions about incompatibilities with schemas, ambiguity about the
processing model (as Norm mentioned, it's not clear whether you do
validation before or after XInclude), and the processing implications
of normatively referencing full XPointer (when a subset like FIXptr
would seem more appropriate and much easier to implement).

But that said, I guess that for people who don't know it already it's
worth pointing out that there implementations of the working draft:
your own XInclude Engine, Daniel Veillard's libxml, 4Suite, probably
some others.