Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Names and addresses

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 09:12:20PM -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:
> I have a long standing action item to revisit name and address markup.

> I think we can break "personname" out of this:

That looks good to me.

One thing that already puzzled me was the lack of a "middlename"
element, that would allow to markup many american names.  I tend to
user "othername" for this, but IIRC the stylesheets does not handle
that as I expected by default, so I'm not sure I have the right
solution.  If such an element would have its place here, it seems to
be a good moment to add it.

One thing that could be considered as well, is removing personal
elements from the "*info" contents (and not allowing "personname" here
as a replacement).  Their role in this context is quite unclear, and
they fit more adequately in "author" and such.

Another idea (which I'm aware may not meat much success, but well...)
is that all of "author", "editor", and "othercredit" share the same
structure, and similar roles.  It would be possible to replace all of
them with a single element (eg. "credit", but this name is badly
chosen, as it would seem to overlap with "corpauthor", which is not
the purpose), with a "class" attribute that would be an enumeration
with values of "author", "editor", and "othercredit".

--
Yann Dirson <Yann.Dirson@fr.alcove.com>                 http://www.alcove.com/
Free-Software Engineer				      Ingénieur Logiciel-Libre