Subject: DOCBOOK: Re: RFE 472229: Allow HTML Tables in DocBook

/ Eduardo Gutentag <eduardo.gutentag@sun.com> was heard to say:
| Option 2 makes much more sense to me.

Why?

My thoughts are:

1. We're moving towards more modular, reusable documentation. Sooner or later,
   probably sooner, someone's going to want to include a fragment that uses one
   table model along with a fragment that uses the other. And that won't be
   possible.

2. This is exactly the problem namespaces are supposed to solve, isn't it? :-)

3. Won't tool vendors have to support mixed namespaces "real soon now"
   anyway, for things like XLink, SVG, MathML, etc. So tools will
   actually be able to handle this?

| Norman Walsh wrote:
| >
| > See http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=472229&group_id=21935&atid=384107
[...]
| > There appear to be two solutions:
| >
| > 1. Use namespaces.
| >
| > 2. Force the user to make a top-level choice by having, effectively,
| >    two DTDs. This would mean a document could contain *either* HTML tables
| >    *or* CALS tables, but not both.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | He who fails to become a giant
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | need not remain content with being
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | a dwarf.--Ernest Bramah