Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Transforming SGML

Josef Karthauser wrote:

>     <inlineequation> <alt> someequation </alt>
>     <graphic fileref="somefilename"/> </inlineequation>
>
> What I'd like to do is miss the graphic out and have it
> automatically inserted by the stylesheet with some relevant
> filename.
>
> I'm very very green at scheme/DSSSL so I'm a bit out of my depth, and I
> was hoping that someone here might help me.
>
> Is it possible to do this, or do I need to modify the DTD also, because
> of course an <inlinequation> requires a <graphic> element.

You must modify DTD to allow inlineequations without graphic element.
This is probably not good idea for your particular case. You probably
want to save typing when including math formulas in a DocBook source --
for this case you can create some macro for your editor. This macro can
insert graphic element with some autogenerated number for you.

FYI. Several weeks ago we agreed on the following markup for TeX
equations with other folks on this list (this is currently supported in
XSL stylesheets):

<para>Preferred way for including TeX alternative of math is inside of

<programlisting><![CDATA[<inlineequation>
<inlinemediaobject>
<imageobject>
<imagedata fileref="eq1.gif"/>
</imageobject>
</inlinemediaobject>
</inlineequation>]]></programlisting>

<programlisting><![CDATA[<inlineequation>
<alt role="tex">a^2+b^2=c^2</alt>
<graphic fileref="a2b2c2.gif"/>
</inlineequation>]]></programlisting>

  Jirka Kosek