Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Transforming SGML

--PuGuTyElPB9bOcsM

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 10:54:01PM +0100, Jirka Kosek wrote:
> >=20
> > Unfortunately it's not that easy.  The document is managed in a revision
> > control system and has many different authors.  They are not interested
> > in the filenames, and in fact the filenames are only of interest when
> > the HTML is produced, and for no other formats.  It makes sense to
> > generate the filenames at output generation time, not at authoring time.
>=20
> If you think it is appropriate, you can customize DocBook and remove
> required graphic element from equation and customize stylesheets to do
> right thing for you. You should carefully consider interchange problems
> between standard DocBook and your customization which can arise later.

I think that I will do this for now.  I also need to add a new
element anyway for other purposes so I'm going to stray from docbook
slightly in the mean time.  I'll probably add my own versions of
the equation tags so as not to polute the original meaning.

So, back to my original question.  Can you help me with the scheme/DSSSL
that I would need to transform some SGML into a different bit of SGML
before passing it on to the rest of the stylesheets?

Imagine that I define a new element, <xequation> some tex equation </xequat=
ion>.
Is it possible to use DSSSL to rewrite this as:
<inlineequation> <graphic fileref=3D"foo"> </graphic> </inlineequation>
and have the rest of the stylesheets process the inlineequation in
the normal way?

I haven't got my head around DSSSL enough yet to know whether this is
possible or not.

Joe

--PuGuTyElPB9bOcsM

--PuGuTyElPB9bOcsM--