Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Docbook and linguistics

Marco Kuhlmann writes:
[...]
> Does anyone of you have experience in using Docbook (or maybe
> just not DocBook) within linguistics? What I need are taggings
> for sentence examples, linguistic categories (like NP, VP and
> the like), syntactic trees, and stuff like that.

Take a look at the Corpus Encoding Standard, CES, and its XML version,
XCES:

                http://www.cs.vassar.edu/CES/CES1.html

This is much better suited for what you want to do than DocBook.

CES is a conformant implementation of TEI, which was suggested in
another response. TEI is huge: it dwarfs DocBook and most other DTDs
I've seen.

    -tree

Sr. Computational Linguist                         http://www.basistech.com