Subject: DOCBOOK: Re: A proposal to clarify the semantics of DocBook graphics

/ Yann Dirson <ydirson@fr.alcove.com> was heard to say:
| On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 10:31:32AM -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:
|> / Yann Dirson <ydirson@fr.alcove.com> was heard to say:
|> | On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 08:59:41AM -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:
[...]
|> If I say content-width="3in", I want the image to be 3in across.
|
| Hm.  I'm not sure I understand the wording "to be 3in across".  How
| does it compare with width="3in" ?

content-width="3in" says the image (before scaling) should be 3in
wide. width="3in" says that the area reserved for presentation of the
image (irrespective of scaling) should be 3in wide.

| I was not talking about the respective values of "content-width" and
| "width" attributes, but about those of the "content-width" attribute
| and the real size of the image.  In other words, what is supposed to
| happen if you lie to the processor when you specify "content-width".

The content is scaled.

I've updated the description at

  http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=9357&group_id=21935

and added a demo at

  http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/proposals/graphicatts/demo.html

|> | with the implied behaviour being implementation defined.
|>
|> I'm a little concerned about this because some systems may not be able
|> to crop (or not to crop).
|
| Yes, but there are many systems, for example, that are not able to
| display MediaObjectCO correctly.  Maybe that does not make much
| difference.

True.

I don't feel strongly about this one. Anyone else have an opinion?

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | It is important what a man still
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | plans at the end. It shows the
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | measure of injustice in his