Subject: RE: DOCBOOK: XML suites to manage DocBook projects?

Hello,

I'm in a dilemma on what editorial environment I should provide to our
DocBook authors.

The authors are used to edit their documents in MS Word: 100% wysiwyg.

I evaluated XML editors like XML Spy and XMetaL and I can imagine that using
these editors this is going to be a shock to at least some of the authors
(editing the XML 'directly').

Should I add a layer on top of the XML files hiding all XML detail from the
author? How far should I go? E.g. author chooses 'Add Chapter' from the menu
instead of 'typing' '<chapter></chapter>'. E.g. content and structure is
stored in a database and valid DocBook XML output is generated by the system
based on this data.

The argument is that some of our authors will never ever adopt a XML editor
to edit content: not wysiwyg; to difficult; don't understand it etc.

Will such a system/interface essentially feel the same for the authors as a
really good XML editor/suite?

Are such systems already available? Specifically designed to handle DocBook
documents?

What is your opinion on this?

Thanks,

Simon.