Subject: DOCBOOK: Alternatives to CalloutList

Hi, I'm working on an article where I have programlisting elements
interleaved with para elements where the paragraphs describe various
constructs in the preceding listing. I thought that using callouts would
help me refer to specific lines within the listings to help make things more
clear for the reader so I started experimenting with programlistingco. It
looks like, however, that you can only refer to a callout from within a
calloutlist which gets rendered like a table. I'd rather refer the callouts
inline in my paragraphs (like referencing a footnote).

The only "solution" that I could come up with was to omit the calloutlist
from my programlistingco and use inlinegraphic elements in my paragraphs to
render the image of the number of the line I'm referring to. But this smells
too much like HTML. Is there a better way to do this? I tried looking for
something like a coref or colink that could be included anywhere in a
paragraph but wasn't successful in finding one.

Thanks,
Jason