Subject: DOCBOOK: Re: Building Where is the bibliography ?

/ Holger Krug <hkrug@rationalizer.com> was heard to say:
| As it's stated in the source tree, the sources are not in a state
| which allows external building (hardcoded reference to local resources
| etc.)

Fixing that is on my list. But it's a long list.

| problems.  The single remaining problem I still seem to have is, that
| as well `xmlcharent/spec/entities.xml' as also
| docbook/spec/docbook.xml contain a `<bibliography>' element, the
| standard `bibliography.collection' refers an empty document at Oasis,
| which even cannot be accessed by my build system (Firewall &
| HTTP-Proxy) and no bibliography is included in the source tree.
| Can anybody help me and send me a copy of the bibliography ?

Attached. Well, "a bibliography", not "the bibliography". But it's the
one I use.

| Several further questions and remarks:
|
| 1) Wouldn't it be possible to include `tr.xsl' and the accompanying
|    `titlepage.xsl' into the source tree. I found them after some ugly
|    searching on a mailing list.

OASIS is in the process of providing a resource for spectools. That'll make
those things go away.

|    a) You don't need a confusing system of currently 68 Makefiles.
|    b) Ant should be far faster, because it must not restart the JVM
|       several hundred when starting the XML parser or the XSLT engine.
|    c) Using Ant it should be simpler to make the build system independent
|       of local particularities.
|    Unfortunately I won't be able to give any further support than to
|    provide an initial version of a build file. Nevertheless if there is
|    an interest in switching to Ant I could provide that initial version.

Last time we (the DocBook Open Repository team) discussed it, the
general feeling was that Make was still more broadly available than
ant and was thus more appropriate.

But I do wonder sometimes...

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | If you cannot find the truth right
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | where you are, where else do you
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | expect to find it?--Dogen