Subject: RE: DOCBOOK: using DocBook with Quark's avenue.quark

I've been using Avenue for about 2 weeks now with a pseudo docbook DTD. I
just  tried loading docbook (V4.1.2) and have been successful with making
the root element book. On the other hand I had nothing but trouble with my
small docbook based DTD. Avenue kept crashing on me consistently. I have a
call open with Quark who were able to reproduce it, but haven't heard from
them in a week. My impression of the software is not favorable. I've gotten
it to work for us by making a DTD that has every Quark style as a child of
book and then transform it to my DTD using Omnimark (and finally to the full
docbook). It's far from elegant, but it works. If it was my choice and
deadline pressure didn't loom I'd drop avenue and use Noonetime.

I'm using Quark 4.1 and AvenueQuark 1.01

Marc

Marc Wiener
Gartner
IS3 - Applications Development
Tel: +1 203 316 3525 Fax: +1 203 316 6490
E-mail: marc.wiener@gartner.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Dwight Agner [mailto:dwighta@gcitype.com]
Sent: Friday, May 10, 2002 10:21 AM
To: docbook@lists.oasis-open.org

I have been trying to use the docbook.dtd (or the simplified version) with
QuarkXPress' avenue.quark XML utility. When I try to import the dtd, it
defaults to "title" as the root element; the resulting element map does not
include any "book" or other apparent text elements.

When I select "book" as the root element, it fails to load--giving a message
that the maximum number of elements has been exceeded. Using "chapter" as
the root results in an error message "Reference to nonexistent ID."

I have also tried the Simplified DocBook dtd, using "article" as the root
element. It loads, but when I try to map Quark styles to tags, I cannot
locate any tags for the main body of text. There are tags (although they are
grayed out and inaccessible) for appendix, bibliography, etc., but no body
text.

Has anyone managed to get these DTDs to work with Quark, and would you be
willing to give me some advice and assistance?

Thanks,
Dwight Agner