Subject: DOCBOOK: URI/URL markup in DocBook

Currently the enumerated systemitem classes include the following
network related info:

systemname
domainname
fqdomainname
groupname
ipaddress
username
etheraddress

I have encountered a frequent need for one more:

url

Note that this is not necessarily a clickable link like the ulink
element. Rather it is a literal URL printed in text, such as
"Sun's home page is at
<systemitem class="url">http://www.sun.com/</systemitem>."

I have also encountered a need to distinguish different kinds of
non-resolvable URLs, specifically:

XML namespace URIs
SAX feature names
SAX property names
JAXP feature names
SOAP Actions
RDDL purposes
RDDL natures

Doubtless there are others, and more are likely to be invented in the
future. For the moment, I've been using the
class attribute to separate these. However, I think the time has come
to add at least a url role to systemitem, or possibly skip that step
completely and go straight to a url element.

Questions:

1. Do we really need a uri element? or separate url, uri, urn elements?

2. Should this element have some sort of purpose or role attribute that
identifies the type of the URI? For example,

<uri class="url" role="namespace">http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/XInclude</uri>
<uri
class="urn">urn:publicid:%2B:IDN+example.org:DTD+XML+Bookmarks+1.0:EN:XML</uri>

|           The XML Bible, 2nd Edition (IDG Books, 2001)             |
|             http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/bible2/              |
|  Read Cafe au Lait for Java News:   http://www.cafeaulait.org/     |
|  Read Cafe con Leche for XML News:  http://www.cafeconleche.org/   |