Subject: RE: DOCBOOK: Attributes for text direction and language

> Thank you very much for your reply. You are right, but the problem
> is that numbers are neither LTR nor RTL intrincically, and are
> interpreted either LTR or RTL depending on the direction of the
> text preceding them.

I just took at look at the unicode bidirectional algorithm
as described in: http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr9/.
It is very complex and I don't claim to understand it in its
full glory, but there are codes that provide explicit directional
information, and the handling of numbers is covered in some
detail in the algorithm.  I can't say for sure if it will handle
what you're doing, but since Hebrew was explicitly considered in
the development of the algorithm, I think there's a good chance
it will do what you need (if browsers and stylesheets use the
algorithm).

> I asked what I asked because I'm planning to convert my documents,
> mostly in the field of (Hebrew) linguistics, from Word format to
> DocBook XML. Though DocBook may not be originally meant for
> linguistic documentation originally, I thought (and still think) it
> might be usable for this purpose without customizing its DTD.

I think you're right and that you should be able to do this
without customizing the DTD.

You may want to check out the unicode organization's web site.
They have a lot of information and at least one archived mailing
list that might give you some information if you decide to pursue
a unicode approach.

Good luck,
Dick