Subject: DOCBOOK: Re: Which conversion method should I use?

/ Jose <studio@qadram.com> was heard to say:
| -I publish it on PDF format, and the images make the document look
| ugly, a lot of empty spaces due images placed in the next page if they
| don't fit
| -The question here is ¿how to organize a document to decide what
| content is on each page?

Here, alas, we run into an ugly problem. This is entirely a
presentation issue and "should" be fixed with better formatting tools.
In the meantime, if adding an explicit page break would help, I
suggest that you do it with a processing instruction.

Add something like:

<?jose-pagebreak?>

to your document and then tweak the FO stylesheets to output a page-break
for that PI:

<xsl:template match="processing-instruction('jose-pagebreak')">
  <fo:block break-before='page'/>
</xsl:template>

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Mankind are always happy for
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | having been happy; so that if you
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | make them happy now, you make them