Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Some detail questions

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 11:31:12PM +0200, Stefan Priebsch (e-novative GmbH) wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm relatively new to DocBook, using 4.2 XML with the 1.53 stylesheets,
> Sablotron 6.5.1 and FOP 0.20.4 for PDF generation.
> I have started to play around with various parametrization and
> customization and I'd like to ask for some additional information on a few
> questions I have. Any help or pointers is greatly appreciated:
>  - what exactly is the effect of activating the fop extensions?

The main effect is to turn on the PDF bookmarks.
Each FO processor handles those differently.
The parameter also is for the handling of graphics files, and turns
off the 'draft' watermark image if you try to turn it on,
since background images aren't  supported in FOP yet.

>  - in the documentation, I found a reference to EXSLT stating that
>    if EXSLT is activated, the result HTML is cleared up. I didn't get that
>    to work; at least not with a visible result

Not sure what that means.  Where did you see it
this reference?
What exactly are you trying to clear up?

>  - sometimes dashes "-" are converted to &#150 in the HTML output, but
>    sometimes not; any idea why?

Is there any difference in the input that produces
the two different outputs?

>  - Say I have (roughly):
>
>    <chapter>
>    <para>some text</para>
>    <sect1>...
>
>    When I chunk the pages appropriately, the "some text" para will appear
>    on the same html page below the chapter toc. Though I can understand
>    why this is so, I would like to change this behaviour. How could I do
>    that?

This behavior currently is not controlled with any parameter.
I think Norm was working on enabling at some point.
You'd have to customize the chunking behavior, which
is not a simple thing.

>  - I am using <guimenu><guimenuitem> tags that render properly to
>    menu->item; however I would like to have the result html display
>    the guimenu and guimenuitem, emphasized or in bold (a span with
>    a css class "guimenuitem" resp. "guimenu" would be perfect,
>    a <em> or <b> would suffice). I tried to find the template definitions
>    for the tags to customize them but did not succeed. How can I do this?

The templates you are looking for are in html/inline.xsl.
You could alter their behavior using a customization layer.
The FAQ shows you how to do a customization layer.

Have fun.

                                            email: bobs@caldera.com