Subject: Re: Fw: DOCBOOK: programlisting

At 19:17 14/08/2002, Bob Stayton wrote:

>> If the 'pass through' of role, to 'class' in the html were available via the stylesheets,
>> that would be easy... wouldn't it?
>
>Yes, it would be easy to pass it through. But
>the class attribute is already occupied by the
>element name, such as <div class="programlisting">.
>Are you suggesting that if there is a role value,
>that it should just replace the element name?

I have suggested it before, for just this purpose, but hadn't
realised (no, hadn't connected my 'other' use of it as you say).

How much of a chore would it be to have it parameterised?

class.usage='passthrough'
or
class.usage='elementName'

Would that make sense? Then Geert and I could colour our program listings
or define our stylesheets based on element names, but not both...
which would break the rest of our css stylesheets :-) Mmmm.
Now I see the problem.

My only other suggestion would be for me to learn more about CSS I suppose.
Isn't it possible to specify the hierarchy (selectors in css2) such that
its possible to identify the two uses and hence style them differently?

Regards DaveP