Subject: DOCBOOK: Re: hierarchical element reference list for docbook?

/ ydirson@fr.alcove.com was heard to say:
| On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 03:55:41PM -0700, Norman Walsh wrote:
|> The see-also lists at the bottom of each reference page are
|> generated from this list:
|
| Is this list in tdg cvs, so that we could work and submit patches on
| latest version ?

Not in XML, though there's a text version deep under defguide/en/build/lib.

But it's used to build parts of the defguide so I'm not anxious to have it
hacked on just at the moment.

| I have a couple of remarks about it:
|
| - the capitalization in the list is not consistent

Yes, this is a lingering issue as the book makes the transition from
SGML (where case didn't matter and CamelCase was the order of the day)
to XML (where it does matter and we've settled on all lowercase for
element and attribute names).

| - the ordering of elements in each section seems near to random.  It
| would be good to put first the first elements a user is likely to
| look for.  Look at the "tables" part for an illustration.

The only purpose they serve(d) for me was to generate the list of "see
alsos" at the bottom of the reference pages. I probably ended up
sorting the list. So the order is random :-)

| - there are 2 sections labelled "cross references 1"

Oops.

| - I noticed a couple of elements missing (don't ask which ones, it was
| before lunch ;).  It could be worth to automatically cross-check this
| list with the DTD.

Yes, probably not up-to-date with V4.2 yet.

It's also possible that there are some completely missing because they didn't
make sense for the purpose for which I wrote the list in the first place :-)

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | An ill-humoured man is a prisoner
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | at the mercy of an enemy from whom
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | he can never escape.--Sa'di