Subject: DOCBOOK: Re: XInclude vs. external entities (Re: The best way to'include' parts...)

/ ed nixon <ed.nixon@lynnparkplace.org> was heard to say:
| Norman Walsh wrote:
|> <snip/>
|> If I was going to use XInclude in my own system, I'd use URNs and allow
|> the URI resolver to get the right filename:
|>   <xi:include
|> href="urn:publicid:-:Norman+Walsh:Document+My+File:EN"/>
|
| Sorry, Norm. Could you please give a "real" example. I am confused by
| the proliferation of dashes, colons and plus signs. I sort of see a
| PUBLIC identifier there but I'm not sure and I don't make a connection
| to where this resolution takes place, how this href string is broken
| down and then put back together again. Little steps, please.

For the purposes of catalog resolution, the string is irrelevant
(except that it has to be an absolute URI because of brokenness in
SAX). I just like public identifiers, so I used one in a URN.

| A pointer to some documentation on this would be a help, as well.

RFC 3151.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | 'tis expressly against the law of
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | arms: 'tis as arrant a piece of
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | knavery, mark you now, as can be