Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Re: Modularity and PE reorganization

>From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
>To: "Matt G." <matt_g_@hotmail.com>
>CC: docbook@lists.oasis-open.org
>Subject: DOCBOOK: Re: Modularity and PE reorganization
>Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 09:13:17 -0400
>
>| Wouldn't using physical tokens, for each element, imply that they
>| can only belong to one class or module?  Certainly, where multiple
>| interpretations of a term exist (e.g. "module", "class",
>| "package", etc.), some duplication is acceptable and should even
>| be encouraged.
>
>One of the constraints of the Maler+Andaloussi[1] class/mixture
>methodology is that an element can appear in at most one class.

Yes, this is sensible for DTD-authoring, since DTDs are oriented towards a
context-free grammar.

>| Using separate namespaces (if possible) for each module would help
>| disambiguate collisions (for purposes of authoring, documenting,
>| and processing, actually).
>
>If they are in different namespaces, they are not the same.

I think that's my point.  Where a given element has multiple meanings -
particularly if the distinction is due to the term being used in unrelated
topics - the best approach might be to add it to both sets.  Of course,
you'd want to be able to distinguish them, so you really want them to be
separate elements - that falls out of namespace usage, nicely.

>Moving to multiple namespaces isn't in the cards at the moment.

Sure, but I'm not sure anything short of that will scale to address the
needs and concerns of many involved in this discussion (and countless
others).

My fear is that if DocBook doesn't continue to scale, it will stagnate and
be replaced by something that does.  That would be mostly bad for most of us
who have invested time and energy in learning, using, supporting, and
enhancing docbook and its tools.

Matt Gruenke