Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 17 Sep 2002

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:

If I may make a few more comments,

> | 10. Review of Requests for Enhancement {40 min}
> |
> |    To browse a specific RFE, enter the URL (on one line):
> |
> |           http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&amp;
> |           group_id=21935&amp;atid=384107&amp;aid=XXXX
> |
> |    where XXXX is the RFE number.
> |
> |     598994 arg vs option
>
> DE: There is room for confusion. Doing cmdsynopsis is hard for an
> author. I don't think this is something we could easily rewrite to
> make it easier.

The difficulty lies in the fact that there is "more than one way to do
it", instead of having one way that works throughout docbook.  Inside
of cmdsynopsis, you use <arg>.  You can't use it outside, but must use
<option>.  Outside, to make something optional, you use the <optional>
tag.  Inside, you use the choice attribute.

The concepts are the same, which is why I felt that multiple tags
serve only to confuse the issue.

> DE: Option and optional are only similar in spelling, they have
> completely different meanings.

Sure, but what I was referring to is <arg choice="opt"> and/vs
<optional>.

Thankyou for your time,
--
David N. Welton