Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: DocBook XSL stylesheet loses whitespace with MSXML

> > From tinkering with the test document, it seems like MSXML
> > is dicarding any whitespace-only text nodes in the <screen> element.
>
> This is known bug/feature of MSXML. It removes all white-space only
> nodes from source tree.

After tinkering with an example from MSDN...

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wcexml
xs/htm/ceconReleaseNotesHandlingWhiteSpaceWithMSXMLProcessor.asp>

It looks like it's whitespace-only nodes in the *output* document that
get stripped by MSXML, not those in the input document. Does this jive
with your knowledge of the issue, or am I way off track?

> You can invoke MSXML manually by some script and turn off whitespace
> stripping (there is property on parser object for doing this). You can
> find more info in MSXML SDK.

Hmm... I really need Internet Explorer to be able to produce the desired
output. Is there nothing I can change in the stylesheet to remedy this
problem? A MSXML-specific processing instruction, maybe?

Kevin Yank
Technical Business Director
SitePoint.com - Master the Web!

e: kevin@sitepoint.com