Subject: RE: DOCBOOK: Landscaped pages

That's a question of presentation rather than semantics. To my knowledge, the only place you can specify landscape orientation is on the table and informaltable elements. Otherwise, page layout is an all-or-nothing thing.

http://docbook.org/tdg/en/html/table.html
http://docbook.org/tdg/en/html/informaltable.html

If you're using DSSSL, you'll have to ask someone else--but give it a try, it might well work :)

If you're using the xsls and you set this attribute to land, the xsls will put a block-container with reference orientation of -90, but the result depends on the renderer's ability to deal with that. Also, I believe that if the table is longer than the width of the page, the content will run off the page (not flow to the next page). This is really a limitation in the xsl-fo spec. For a solution to the problem, see:

http://www.cranesoftwrights.com/resources/psmi/index.htm

To use Ken's solution you would have to modify the xsls and have your processing system post-process the fo that the (modified) docbook xsls produce. If you want to landscape a sequence of pages that's not a table, then you may or may not have to use Ken's PSMI trick depending on whether that seqence of pages is a separate page-sequence in the xsls.

David