Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Request for comments: adding a Fileoutput element (RFE613293)

At 15:35 28/11/2002 +0900, Michael Smith wrote:
>The DocBook Technical Committee would like to ask for comments from
>readers of this list about a request for an enhancement to the DocBook
>DTD, RFE 613293, 'Generalize programlisting'[1], which proposes that the
>DTD be enhanced in some way to provide a 'semantically-precise way to
>wrap the contents of files that are not programs'.

In the faq (docbook and xslt) I generally differentiate between a 'full'
program
(use programlisting) and a snippet that is being discussed (use literllayout).

I'd generally support a new element to try and capture the idea of an extract
from a file/listing/etc.

fileoutput as such an element name strikes be as the best option, I am less
keen on extending the attribute lists. It still misses my 'snippet' or
filextract
sementics, but is closer than the vague literallayout or (my case frequently
wrong) programlisting.

Regards DaveP