Subject: RE: DOCBOOK: Offtopic: EBNF equivelant for describing bitstreams

EBNF should suffice to what you describe here, but yes, there are other
relevant standards.

BTW, did you know there's an ISO standard for EBNF?

  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-ebnf.html

ASN.1, Abstract Syntax Notation number One, is a standard that defines a
formalism for the specification of abstract data types.

It is used e.g. for specification of telecom protocols (and you don't get
more bit-oriented than that). There's a lot of tools for editing ASN.1
specifications and compiling them to executable programs etc.

Google for ASN.1 or start here:

  http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/en/index.htm

The STEP standards (ISO 10303) specify a set of protocols to exchange
product model data for international trade and cooperation in major
industries including automotive, electronics, aerospace, plant engineering
and civil engineering. The STEP standards are defined using a modelling
language called EXPRESS (ISO 10303-11).

EXPRESS is an extremely nice language for describing structures and
constraints in general. If you have money to spend, you can buy the standard
from ISO:

http://www.iso.org/iso/en/CatalogueDetailPage.CatalogueDetail?CSNUMBER=18348

If you are just curious, working drafts are available here:

  http://www.mel.nist.gov/step/parts/part011e2/

and there's a bit of overview of EXPRESS in relation to XML on this Cover
page:

  http://xml.coverpages.org/stepExpressXML.html

Kind regards
Peter Ring