Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Starting a fresh documentation project

Zenaan Harkness <zen@getsystems.com> writes:

>  - sgml or xml docbook?

Current efforts are based on XML.

>  - toolchain?

Theoretically, this shouldn't matter *too* much.  I've been pretty
happy with xsltproc on Debian, which you mention later.

>  - stylesheets/ addons that might be useful?

>  - what do I need to read to get control over my output (eg. section
> indents, fonts, spacing) - as I never solved this one in the DSSSL
> days (ie I found DSSSL too arcane, and/ or didn't find a book or
> tutorial)

xslt stylesheets with variations for all your different end-result
formats.

>  - images

I think that's a pretty standard tag(s).

> What is given is my environment and requirements:
>  - Debian GNU/Linux exclusively ("testing") (i386)

Good to see:-)

>  - output to HTML, and either PDF or RTF, for distribution, and
> Postscript (I assume) for printing

Don't know about the PDF/printed side, but things as they stand work
great for HTML.

>  - large documentation set - perhaps four or five books (2 years?)
>  - many images in DIA

> 1) On the weekend, I found a post mentioning how to create lists
> without the full line of excess space after each list item in the
> HTML output (use simpara). But this doesn't work if you use two
> simparas, one after the other. I want spacing at 3pt or else 0pt,
> but not a full blank line after every para. This is an example that
> I never solved in my first docbook excursion years ago (I never
> figured out even simpara at the time, so we put up with spaced out
> lists).

I would have a look at mixing in HTML stylesheets with your output.

http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/css/ is a good reference.

That's all I know how to respond to, sorry I can't add more!

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/