Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Any suggestions for a GOOD XML reference?

On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 07:48:51PM -0600, Jeff Biss wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am learning XML while using the docbook DTD and really need a good
> reference. For example, I have "DocBook: The Definitive Guide" and "XML
> Bible" that do not provide information about the following DTD constructs:
>
> <!ENTITY % local.list.class "">
>
> When I go through the various modules in the docbook DTD I cannot figure
> out where "class" comes from or what "local.list.class" actually means.
>
> Can someone please provide what they consider a good reference that
> explains what is going on in the docbook (XML programming in general)?
>
> I would like to either alter the DTD for my purposes or suggest a change
> intelligently but I can't until I understand what's going on.
>
> I did perform a search through the mail list but couldn't find
> information about this. This shouldn't surprise anyone because I am not
> sure what to search for.

Did you see Chapter 5 "Customizing DocBook"
in DocBook: The Definitive Guide?  It covers
most of what you are asking about.

I've posted a set of slides from a presentation I made
last year on Customizing the DocBook DTD.  Those slides
are available at:

http://www.sagehill.net/xml/customdtd/index.html

If you spend much time reading or customizing the DTD,
you might like browsing the hypertext version
I call a LiveDTD.  For a general description, see:

http://www.sagehill.net/livedtd/

and for the LiveDTD version of DocBook 4.2, see:

http://www.sagehill.net/livedtd/docbookxml42/

It is a great learning tool for the DTD.
It makes it much easier to track your way through
the tangle of parameter entities in DocBook.
The tool that generates LiveDTDs is available there, so
you can create one for your customized DTD too.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com