Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Any suggestions for a GOOD XML reference?

Michael,

I should have been a bit more clear on what I was really asking, which is where are these defined? For example, in C you would use functions defined in a library. When you read through the source code you would not find the actual code for println but would know that it is pulled from the library when you make and compile the code. Analogously, I would like to know where the things like *.module are defined and provided for the docbook.

Also, the way the Definitive Guide is written might be clear to someone who is already familiar with the subject matter, but not for me. As an electrical engineer I can pick up a data book and design a circuit with the information provided. But without the electrical engineering background provided by school, someone else would not be able to understand the same information. I need more background to fully understand what's going on.

Sincerely, Jeff

Michael Smith wrote:
Hi Jeff,

You wrote:

Hello All,

I am learning XML while using the docbook DTD and really need a good
reference. For example, I have "DocBook: The Definitive Guide" and "XML
Bible" that do not provide information about the following DTD constructs:

<!ENTITY % local.list.class "">

When I go through the various modules in the docbook DTD I cannot figure
out where "class" comes from or what "local.list.class" actually means.

You definitely should do as Bob suggested and take another look at
Chapter 5, "Customizing DocBook" in "DocBook: The Definitive Guide" -

http://docbook.org/tdg/en/html/ch05.html#d0e13860

%local.*;

The %local.*; parameter entities are a local extension mechanism. You
can add markup to most entity declarations simply by declaring the
appropriate local parameter entity.

%*.class;

Classes group elements of a similar type: for example all the
lists are in the %list.class;.

If you want to add a new kind of something (a new kind of list or
a new kind of verbatim environment, for example), you generally
want to add the name of the new element to the appropriate class.

Can someone please provide what they consider a good reference that
explains what is going on in the docbook (XML programming in general)?

I would like to either alter the DTD for my purposes or suggest a change
intelligently but I can't until I understand what's going on.

It sounds like what you're looking for isn't really a reference for XML
programming, but one for DTD development and customization. As far as
that goes, if you plan on doing a much DTD development/customization
work, you should read Eve Maler and Jeanne El Andaloussi's book
"Developing SGML DTDs". It'll give you a lot of insight into the thought
that went into the design and organization of the DocBook DTD.

But for now, if your immediate need is to alter or suggest specific
changes to the DocBook DTD, the best starting point is still Chapter 5
of "DocBook: The Definitive Guide".

--Mike