Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: index autogeneration

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 10:59:18AM -0800, Bob Stayton wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 02:21:41PM -0300, John Lenton wrote:
> > Hi all.
> >
> > I'm trying to write a docbook that has an index, and I'd like that
> > index to be autogenerated. So far I've only been able to generate it
> > when rendering the 'book as HTML.
> >
> > Any pointers?
>
> XSL or DSSSL stylesheets?
>
> If XSL, then I can tell you that the next release of
> the XSL stylesheets will have much improved auto index
> generation for both HTML and FO outputs.

XSL.

I've come across two things since I posted: db2latex[1], XSL
stylesheets to convert docbook to latex, and latex-indextools[2],
whereby you give a perl program a list of words to index and it goes
down the latex document doing its thing.

I'm not sure, but it seems db2latex already has the smarts to do the
index autogeneration, but if it doesn't (_very_ little docs), I'm
certain I can get what I want with the combination of db2latex and
latex-indextools.

I'll keep you posted :)

j.

1: http://db2latex.sourceforge.net/
2: http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~frostr/LaTeX-indextools/

--
John Lenton (john@vialibre.org.ar) -- Random fortune:
"We shall reach greater and greater platitudes of achievement."