Subject: Re: docbook 'role' attribute leakage

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 10:05:24AM -0500, Stefan Seefeld wrote:
> hi there,
>
> I'm searching for ways to put 'use cases', 'requirements', and
> other architectural artifacts into my documents. The closest thing I'v
> come up with is a variablelist (since the structure as far as
> the document is concerned is basically a list). I hope to preserve
> a minimal markup so I can provide special display instructions via css,
> and the means for this seems to be the ubiquitous 'role' attribute.
> Role usually maps to the 'class' attribute in html documents.
> However, in my case it appears the 'class' attribute is set to
> 'variablelist', so the 'role' attribute is lost. (I'm using
> <xsl:param name="css.decoration" select="1"/>)
>
> What is going wrong here ?

Actually, there are only a few elements that propagate
the role attribute to the HTML class attribute.
Most do not.  You will have to write some customizations
to make more use of role for your purposes.

> But speaking of user defined markup, I'm wondering whether there
> shouldn't be other ways (beside 'role') to provide more hooks
> for user defined structures. In fact, as the content needs to
> be generic, I think some generic container which acts similar to
> 'role' would be best. That would provide all the hooks needed
> to deal with such elements in user defined xslt and css code.
> May be something equivalent to html's 'div', just as a structural
> element. May be a generalization of 'formalpara' where 'para' could
> be replaced with anything...?
>
> Another use of such generic decorator elements would be the
> ability to automatically generate indexes for them.

There is the generic inline container <phrase>,
but there is no generic structural container.
Adding a generic structural container would make
the structural rules a bit fuzzy, wouldn't it?
Exactly what could be contained in what?

I guess I'm not clear why role with suitable customization
doesn't meet this need.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com