Subject: Re: [docbook] strict versus transitional XHTML tables [was: DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 18 Mar 2003]

At 22:02 2003 03 18 +0000, Dave Pawson wrote:
>At 15:27 18/03/2003 -0600, Paul Grosso wrote:
>>How is the author supposed to indicate to the DocBook stylesheets
>>what color background they would like for a given cell?  Would
>>you feel that <td role="green-background"> is more in keeping
>>with the DocBook precedent?
>
>No, but if I had
>
>I could use css to style it green?

>>>I'd support strict anytime.
>>
>>What harm do you see in having a bgcolor attribute on
>>table cells in the version of the HTML table model that
>>DocBook might incorporate?
>
>I guess I'm being black and white Paul.
>color=green is style, not markup.
>I'm supporting fully the separation?

I'm generally a fan of separating format from content too.
But tables are by definition presentational.  I mean, if
you're going to be black and white, you should argue against
table markup of any kind.

As it stands, the XHTML strict table model includes attributes
for both vertical and horizontal cell alignment (as just one
example), so it's hard to be black and white here.  Given how
much presentation XHTML strict already includes, I'm arguing
that making users use role="glump" instead of bgcolor="green"
does more harm than good.

paul