Subject: Re: [docbook] strict versus transitional XHTML tables [was: DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 18 Mar 2003]

Paul Grosso wrote:

> I'm generally a fan of separating format from content too.

It's the best strategy in most scenarios, yes. Mixing them without a
real reason is almost never a good idea.

> But tables are by definition presentational.

I disagree. Tabular data marked up as table with purely structural and
semantic markup makes a lot of sense, and is usable, and can be accessible.

> I mean, if
> you're going to be black and white, you should argue against
> table markup of any kind.

I can't follow your logic here, at all.

> As it stands, the XHTML strict table model includes attributes
> for both vertical and horizontal cell alignment (as just one
> example), so it's hard to be black and white here.  Given how
> much presentation XHTML strict already includes, I'm arguing
> that making users use role="glump" instead of bgcolor="green"
> does more harm than good.

What harm does it do?

   td.glump {background-color: green}

seems very fine to me. What's the requirement for <td bgcolor="green"/>
in either DocBook or XHTML?

Tobi

--
http://www.pinkjuice.com/