Subject: Re: XHTML tables; examples

At 12:27 2003 03 19 +0100, Tobias Reif wrote:
>Hi
>
>is this what it could look like?
>
><section>
>  <title>Languages</title>
>      summary="This table charts some programming languages,
>      and lists their notation, main paradigm, notation, and domain.">
>      <caption>My favourite programming languages.</caption>

Yes.

>DocBook markup would probably be allowed inside td elements?

Yes, just like DocBook markup is now allowed inside CALS entry elements.

>Would there be something like type="xhtml" on the table element?

No--we see no need.

If some process needs to determine if a table is using
CALS or HTML markup, it can look to see if the table
contains a tgroup element (required by CALS and not
in the HTML tag set).

If you add such an attribute to the table element, then
you just add one more place where the input can be
self-contradictory (e.g., the author forgets to set
type="xhtml" thereby "claiming" by omission that it
is a CALS table when it clearly is not).

paul