Subject: Re: [docbook] DocBook Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 18 Mar2003

Tobias Reif wrote:

> Learning the CALS table model is described by you as sufficiently easy,
> but is very likely to be harder than learning the (X)HTML table model.
>
> And since HTML is extremly popular and very widely used, many web
> developers getting started with DocBook wouldn't need to invest *any*
> time in learning how to use tables in DocBook. Zero.

If I will accept this argumentation why there is not also p as
alternative to para, ul as alternative to itemizedlist, ...? Adding
p/ul/ol/... to DocBook will sound silly to most DocBookers I think. Why
this is not true for HTML tables? Some paradigma lock? Space aliens
using telepathy?

> This will help increase the further proliferation of DocBook.

I did a lot of for proliferating DocBook, at least locally in Czech and
Slovak republic. CALS table model wasn't showstopper.

					Jirka

  Jirka Kosek
  e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz
  http://www.kosek.cz