Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: DocBook vs OpenOffice.org

Hi,

thanks for all your answers so far.

Am Samstag, 1. März 2003 22.30 schrieb Mark Johnson:

> > For what task would you suggest the one and for what the other?
>
> OpenOffice is an MSOffice-like integrated desktop application
> suite. It has a word processor, spreadsheet, drawing, & presentation
> tools.
>
> A DocBook file, OTOH, has no preferred presentation, it's simply a
> bunch of text surrounded by XML tags. It's used mainly to write
> computer-related documentation and is processed into some output format in
> a separate procedure.

Ok, I know that OpenOffice.org is a whole application suite, but I meant
actually only the word processing part. It's also "simply a bunch of text
surrounded by XML tags" which in addition happens to know how to format
itself. But since its file-format is XML you can also transform it easily
(more or less) to other output formats. So again my questions:
What would be the advantages of using DocBook instead of OpenOffice.org? What
the disadvantages?
For what task would you suggest the one and for what the other?

Thanks.

Greez
Florian