Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: XHTML tables

Jirka Kosek wrote:

 > I though that this was point (maybe not yours, but othres who proposed
 > HTML tables in DocBook) -- allow easy reuse of existing tables in HTML
 > and make easier to type tables in DocBook for peoples who know HTML.

One of the points, yes.

 > think that learning CALS model is for "common user" easier than learn
 > how to use regexps to add namespace prefix.

As I said, you can also use any other automatic tool or do it by hand.
But obviously, this is one of the drawbacks of using prefixes. As I
said, each of the different possibilities has its own pro/con balance;
but each would be OK IMHO. When someone sees copy'n'paste as most
important, then it's obviously best to not use prefixes.

 >>   xmlns:h="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
 >>can be set on the root element and/or be set (via "fixed") from the
 >>DTD.
 >>(see the SVG DTD)
 >>
 > Fixed attributes can save typing but in a log term this practice won't
 > be suitable. Fixed attributes modify infoset and forces you to read
 > DTD/WXS when you want to process your document.

Just above, I wrote

"xmlns:h="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
can be set on the root element and/or be set (via "fixed") from the
DTD." (there's an "or")

Set it explicitly, in the document, eg on the root element.

 >Modern schema languages
 > like RNG even doesn't support this feature. But yes, meanwhile #FIXED
 > is
 > a nice trick how to save typing. BTW I'm wondering what will happen to
 > XLink when people will start using schema languages without fixed
 > feature.

See above.

Tobi

--