Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: sgml vs xml

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 05:28:58PM -0800,
 Ben Hratshorne <docbook@green.hartshorne.net> wrote
 a message of 43 lines which said:

> I was wondering a while ago whether to start my docbook project stuff
> using dsssl or xml.

They are not incompatible. Unless this is a typo, you compare apples
and oranges.

XML or SGML are markup meta-languages.

XSL or DSSSL are stylesheets languages.

You can (I do) use DSSSL for XML documents. The choice of a markup
meta-language is partly independant of the choice of the stylesheet language.

> Lurking on this list for a bit it seems that 90% of the questions are
> answered with XML syntax.  Is it the case that though nobody really
> seems to say so everyone actually uses XML?

It is clear that SGML is slowly dying in favour of XML. For a new
project where there is no legacy, I believe there is no question: use
XML.