Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: sgml vs xml

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 10:53:10AM +0100, Jirka Kosek wrote:
> Camille Bégnis wrote:
>
> > I think the situation is the following: SGML is the legacy system most people get on using because it allows acceptable print output.
>
> This is not quite truth. With SGML you are mostly using DSSSL
> stylesheets and toolchain which has quite good print output. But this
> toolchain (DSSSL + Jade/OpenJade) can be used also with XML sources.

Right.

> > On the other hand SGML applications are not evolving anymore, hence
> > less discussions.

This is not true as well.  Although it has been dormant for a long
time, Openjade 1.3.1 and then 1.3.2 were released several months ago.
Work is ongoing to incorporate the developments that were done in the
1.4 branch.  And people are working at implementing the most
critically missing part of DSSSL, namely the full-fledged
page-sequence model, which will allow fancy things like lexible
multi-columning, marginalia, etc.

Regards,
--
Yann Dirson <Yann.Dirson@fr.alcove.com>                 http://www.alcove.com/
Technical support manager                Responsable de l'assistance technique