Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Re: any reason why a "procedure" is not a child of "para"?

Here's my 2 cents:

I see no reason that a procedure should be a child of a paragraph. The
paragraph immediately preceding a procedure would reference that
procedure. Why would one need to put a procdure inside a paragraph?

This is clear:

...To install the software perform the following procedure:

1. Insert the installation disk in the drive.
2. Another step

This is not so clear:

...To install the software: 1. Insert the installation disk in the
drive. 2. Allow the setup program to launch. If it does not launch you....

Placing a procedure within a table doesn't add much but could provide a
better indication of where the procedure starts and stops because of the
table's lines. I was forced to do this when working for a customer to
satisfy their "updated" template for a new "look and feel". The left
column of each row provided the step number and the right column
provided the instructions. It could also be done for a single column
table so that each step is contained within a cell. Providing for a
procedure within a single column table appears to be rather messy for
the small visual benefit though.

Jeff Biss

There seems