Subject: DOCBOOK: The Gmane mail gateway.

Has anybody subscribed to the gmane.org newserver?  This is an nntp
server thats sole purpose is to gateway public email lists to nntp.  It
was setup and is administered by the author of Emacs's Gnus newsreader.
(The guy hates email lists).  It is completely free, has about 3500
email lists and will never remove messages. This docbook list is listed
on that newserver, but when I tried to post to the list I got the
following message:

        You have tried posting to gmane.text.docbook.misc, which is a
        non-public mailing list.  Gmane can therefore not send this
        message to that mailing list.

I then asked the gmane.discuss list whether this docbook list could
allow gmane access only.  Lars (the admin) said, "They'd then have to
differentiate on the envelope address".  The description of the envelope
address is:

        The envelope address is what is supplied during SMTP
        negotiation.  (If you use sendmail, you set the envelope address
        with the "-f" switch.)

        Gmane sets the envelope address to be the Gmane address that is
        subscribed to the list when it forwards messages via the
        news-to-mail interface.

So, would the people subscribed to this list be against an nntp gateway
to this list?  He hates spam, so you will be as protected as he can make
it.

The benefit in my eyes is that I wouldn't have to download the messages
to correspond with this list and, even more important, I could
correspond from my work account because I can access nntp but have alot
of SMTP rules getting in the way of corresponding without my corporate
email address.  If I could correspond from work, then my subsidiary wide
docbook effort would have an immediate source of conversation.

Thanks.
--
Galen deForest Boyer