Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: The Gmane mail gateway.

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Galen Boyer <galenboyer@hotpop.com> wrote:

> So, would the people subscribed to this list be against an nntp gateway
> to this list?  He hates spam, so you will be as protected as he can make
> it.

As much as Lars hates spam I "hate" gmane. It is technically flawed. Too
many mailing lists are available there without the knowledge of the
appropriate list owner. He seems to think that it is okay to archive lists
on his machine because they are "public", i.e. one can subscribe to them.
Although there are some safeguards the fundamental problem is one of
courtesy; he never asks whether the owners want their list available just
goes ahead and makes it available.

For most lists I have X-Archive: expiry=0 set, just in case some bozo
signs it up at gmane.org. However, Lars has a bizarre understanding of
what the Archive: no and X-No-Archive: yes headers mean. To him they mean
the message can be included for a few days (quote "Gmane interprets this
to mean that the message should expire after 14 days.") rather than a
total blanket I DON'T WANT MY MESSAGES ARCHIVED ON THIS FLAWED SYSTEM.

So we're clear I've argued these issues with Lars at some length. Several
lists I'm on have been removed from gmane.org because the owners did not
know he'd grabbed the material. There are one or two lists I'm looking to
see appear on gmane.org --- including those will cause a real stink.

It appears that the purpose of gmane is to help one review lists. As it
becomes widely known it's a one-stop shop for address harvesters.

Regards, Trevor

British Sign Language is not inarticulate handwaving; it's a living language.
Support the campaign for formal recognition by the British government now!
Details at http://www.fdp.org.uk/

--

<>< Re: deemed!