Subject: Re: [docbook] Clean way to insert a "pause" between blocks of paragraphs?

--- BigSmoke <bigsmoke@home.nl> wrote:

> Which other XML dialects are taylored specifically
> for the purpose of writing non-technical prose? Now
> I tend to
> (ab)use DocBook for this (or LaTeX, while I dislike
> Macro's).

None that I've seen. From what I've seen so far, TEI
comes closest, but it is primarily for *tagging*
pre-existing non-technical prose. (I worked this out
after first posting to the group.) For example, I can
easily do the semantic coding for what I want as
follows:

<head>Stuff Happens</head>

The catch is that the TEI DTD doesn't "know" what
"chaptersubdiv" means, so to speak. That is, the DTD
doesn't specify a particular set of values of the
"type" attribute; it can be anything at all
(http://www.tei-c.org/P4X/ref-DIVN.html). Of course,
in designing an XML dialect to tag pre-existing
documents that could be subdivided in non-predictable
ways, this sort of openness or ambiguity in the DTD
makes sense. But this design decision means that there
is no reliable set of "type" attributes that a
stylesheet can target, so one has to make up a
sensible set of "type" attributes and either find a
stylesheet that supports them, if the "type" attribute
values are common conventional ones like "chapter,"
"section," "canto," etc., or create new stylesheet
templates to handle the type values, or do a mixture
of both.

In contrast, the DocBook DTD is more constraining than
the TEI DTD, but presents a more static set of
semantics for stylesheets to target. The catch is that
if the intended semantics of the document aren't
supported by DocBook, one is kind of stuck with either
customizing DocBook, abusing it, or messing with
processing instructions. TANSTAAFL.

> I personally have to admit that in tech. docs I can
> always
> come up with a title for each seperation. It's only
> for
> non-technical prose that I desire another means to
> add a
> "pause" or a "seperation".

Same here.