Subject: Re: [docbook] Re: XML Editors

Steinar Bang wrote:

>>I use xxe (http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor), free and platform
>>independent.  Not perfect (but I have not tried the paid version)
>>but good enough for most of my uses. I would not know whether it's
>>appropriate for industrial uses, though.
>>

>My major nit with it, is that it expands all entities and then forgets
>that they exist:
>	http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/features.html#nonfeatures
>
>Since I use external entities to split documents into multiple files,
>use the same sections/chapters in multiple files, read in my
>application's version number, etc. etc., XXE is _not_ the editor for
>me.

I tried it a few months ago,  but couldn't get my Docbook documents to
validate. These were files that validated in XMetaL and also processed
error free in Saxon and XSLTProc. I posted queries once or twice to this
list with no joy. I wrote to their tech support, waited and then
received a reply saying there was nothing wrong with the files I had
sent them, but they couldn't do anythong for me because their focus was
on "user interface" questions. You will know that XMLMind depends, by
default, on the MS parser for validating. The difficulty I had was with
entities that went unrecognized after they had in fact been defined
correctly.

To their credit, the developers said they were looking at expanding the
validation engine capabilities of the product. I don't know if anything
has happened in that direction yet, however. Also, there have been
others on the list who have had no problems whatsoever with Docbook
files, but there is no info to explain where the problems begin and end.

                   ...edN